Great Ballard - Learning Support Assistant (LSA)
A part-time vacancy for a Learning Support Assistant (LSA) at Great Ballard School.
JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION: Learning Support Assistant (Term time only)
Great Ballard School are seeking to appoint a dynamic and enthusiastic Learning Support Assistant to join our dedicated Learning Support team.
The successful candidate will assist in the educational, social and emotional development of specific pupils supporting them with special educational needs, general learning needs and EAL within the classroom both in small groups and on a 1:1 basis.
You will be flexible, have excellent interpersonal skills, able to work on your own initiative, be sensitive to the needs of others and be committed to the role. The ability to build a good rapport with pupils is essential for promoting a safe, calm, nurturing environment for learning.
Responsible to: The SENDCo and Classroom Teacher
Hours Required: A Minimum of three days per week; 8am to 3.30pm is required however additional hours are available and can be discussed at interview.
Summary of Main Responsibilities
Core classroom duties
• Differentiate for specific pupils within the classroom through an active, multi-sensory approach to learning.
• Prepare differentiated resources to further support the pupil’s acquisition of literacy and / or numeracy.
• Provide literacy and numeracy support as directed by the SENDCo and class teacher, including in class support and small group/ 1:1 withdrawal lessons.
• Lead social skills and/ or emotional literacy sessions.
• Observe pupil progress and provide constructive feedback to the teacher and SENDCo.
• Ensure all record keeping is up to date and well organised.
• Take temporary responsibility for the class in the absence of the class teacher.
• Establish high expectations of standards and behaviour.
• Establish and develop good relations with parents and colleagues.
• Contribute to the successful delivery of the whole school ethos.
• Share break and lunchtime playground duties (including First Aid duty) on a rota
• Take part in weekly staff meetings and occasional whole staff meetings.
• Attend staff INSET days (five per annum).
• Take part in some designated school events outside normal school hours such as the school fete and school camp as required.
• Carry out any tasks that may be reasonably required by the Headmaster or SENDCo.
Experience and Skills
• Excellent numeracy and literacy skills.
• Trained and experienced in supporting learners with SEN (KS2)
• Trained and/or experienced in meeting the needs of pupils who have social and emotional difficulties associated with attachment disorder.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Empathetic approach.
• Good organisational skills.
• Training and/or demonstrable experience in dyscalculia.
• Experience of supporting SEN pupils up to KS4 would be advantageous.
• Trained and/or qualified Learning Support Assistant.
• Experience in leading social skills interventions and emotional literacy support.
• Computer literate (SIMS, WORD, etc)
• A professional manner and appearance
• Friendly, warm personality
• Self-motivated, with a positive, professional attitude
• Calm under pressure
• Reflective approach to work.
• The ability to liaise and communicate effectively with others.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
If you are interested in applying for the above position, please contact the school via email. Further details about the school and an application form are available on the school website.
Applications must be received on the school’s own application form. The deadline for applications is Friday 25th October. A supportive letter should also be attached, highlighting why the position is of interest to you, and why you feel you are suitable for the role. Candidates may also attach a separate CV if they so wish.
The intention is to consider applications on Monday 4th November with a view to inviting a short list of candidates for interview at the school as soon as possible. Ideally the successful candidate will be available to start work after successful completion of pre-employment identity checks and references have been obtained and hopefully by Monday 18th November or as soon as possible thereafter.
Great Ballard School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its pupils. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including an Enhanced DBS check.
Tel: 01243 814236 www.greatballard.co.uk
Eartham, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 0LR
- 55 Day Boys (2-13)
- 74 Day Girls (2-13)
- BSA, IAPS, ISC
01243 814236 http://www.greatballard.co.uk/job-vacancies
Closing Date: 25 October 2019
Add a Vacancy
Any school in membership of an association in ISC can add job vacancies to this website. The site is powered by Pressburst – a communications platform developed by Attain in partnership with ISC and the Associations, including HMC, GSA, IAPS and The Society of Heads.