Duncombe School - Assistant Bursar (Finance)
Reporting to the Business Manager, the Assistant Bursar (Finance) is a key part of our administration team, taking responsibility for fee billing and other administrative duties. The Assistant Bursar (Finance) will also provide all staff with a range
Management of the Fee Ledger
• Timely preparation of the termly invoices; to be posted or emailed to parents in accordance with the agreed time schedules.
• Ensure that all fees and other charges are posted to the correct accounting period/term for accuracy.
• Ensure that all leavers are invoiced correctly, deposits returned and new pupils invoiced appropriately.
• Liaise with relevant staff for any additional charges to be invoiced.
• Ensure all bursaries, scholarships and fee discounts are recorded correctly.
• Record all cash receipts and bank all receipts timeously.
• Resolve queries from parents arising from the termly invoices
• Producing an aged debtors list for review by the Business Manager within a week of the start of term and monitoring the list throughout the term.
• Chasing the fee payers throughout the term via a phone call, email, copy invoices and letters. Keep the Business Manager up to date.
• Support with the annual audit by responding to questions providing documentation as requested.
• Keep a reconciliation of all deposits paid.
• Keep a record of the number of pupils on roll and ensure that the fees ledger correspond with the enrolment.
• Process bursary application and liaise with Headmaster and Business Manager on results.
• File copies of the bursaries/scholarships/fee discount awards.
• File correspondence from parents.
• Keep a record of the registration and acceptance fees paid by prospective pupils. Cross check with the Registrar on a regular basis.
• Deal with applications for School Fee Plan, update to parent accounts and liaison with School Fee Plan and parents
• Administration and record keeping of the Government Universal Free Early Education Entitlement (15 free hours) Scheme
Management of the Purchases Ledger
• Complete and submit new vendor forms as required.
• Assist with resolving supplier payment queries.
• Support the Business Manager to ensure the Purchase Order system is managed correctly.
• Ensure that the financial policy is adhered to.
• Reconciling supplier statements and resolve differences.
• Providing the auditors with appropriate documentation as requested by them in relation to the Purchases ledger.
• Filing the invoices in an orderly fashion.
Management of the Nominal Ledger
• Maintain the nominal ledger in an orderly fashion.
• Ensure records are kept of income received in advance, eg. trips.
• Ensure records are kept of prepaid expenses, eg. trips.
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliation in accordance with the agreed guidelines.
• Direct debits to be monitored and matched to known transactions and posted to the nominal ledger on a timely basis.
• Send direct debit collection amounts to the School Support Centre twice a month in line with the direct debit cycle.
• Reconcile credit card purchase transactions on a monthly basis.
• Monitor the bank account daily for suspicious activity.
• Write out cheques from the number 2 account at the request of the Business Manager
• Deal with staff petty cash expenses
• Monthly petty cash reconciliation and No 2 Account Reconciliation
• Submit all necessary documentation to the School Support Centre in accordance with the monthly timetable.
• Assist the Business Manager in preparing the annual budget for submission to the School Support Centre.
• Maintain an up to date Discount Register and forward any changes to the school Support Centre when changes are made.
• Preparation and submission of Parents’ Association accounts to the Charities Commission website
• To provide data reports when requested.
• Provide information for the annual School Census.
• To assist with recruitment, employment, induction and retention of admin support staff.
• Do performance management and review.
• Provide in house training based on needs identified.
• Assist parents, pupils and staff in problem resolution.
• Liaise with teachers and provide guidance on completing trip budgets.
• Manage payroll in accordance with guidance from the Business Manager and the School Support Centre.
• Undertake any other duties in connection with the level of the post to ensure the efficient and
effective running of the department.
• Support the Business Manager with other reasonable requests.
• Attend and participate in regular meetings and participate in training and other learning activities
• Take into account all matters of the published aims and objectives of the school.
• To carry out any other duties as may reasonably be requested by the Headmaster or Business Manager.
• This job description describes responsibilities, as they are currently required. It is anticipated duties will change over time and the job description may need to be reviewed in the future.
4 Warren Park Road, Bengeo, Hertfordshire, SG14 3JA
- IAPS, ISC
Closing Date: 14 June 2019
Add a Vacancy
Any school in membership of an association in ISC can add job vacancies to this website. The site is powered by Pressburst – a communications platform developed by Attain in partnership with ISC and the Associations, including HMC, GSA, IAPS and The Society of Heads.